Sunday 18 September 2011

Necessity is the Mother of Invention

Now I know that nappy changing is part of my job at the moment, but I have to admit I am not keen on it at all.  Not because of the wee/poo side of it, although that plays a part, but I really don't feel comfortable being so intimate with someone else's child.  Also, as we are in an infant school, we don't have the proper facilities really and kneeling of the floor of the boys' toilets is not fun! 

So in an effort to speed the training process along a little, I came up with the idea of a very visual aid.  Last year I used a teddy with a small bottle of water held behind him in order to simulate the toy having a wee in the loo, but I felt this might not be the way to go with my current charge.  So I whizzed up a little 'mini-me' out of felt.
It has a piece of plastic tubing which comes out of the back of the neck into a small squeezy container that can be filled with water. (OK, I admit it, I pinched this off a free squirty bow-tie toy!).  The other end of the tube is sewn into the body of the doll and comes out....well, you can guess where!  Warning, the next picture contains a felt winkie......
So, the trousers can be pulled down, then when the doll sits on the potty, his appendage points directly downwards into the bowl. 
You then squeeze the plastic bulb, thus making the doll pee.
Then the idea is to praise the doll and hopefully the child will then get the idea and learn the process in real life....that's the idea.  I realise there is great potential for this to go horribly, horribly wrong and the doll to end up down the loo covered in urine, but it's worth a try.  I'll let you know how I get on!

No comments:

Post a Comment