Friday 28 May 2010

Atlanto-Axial Instability

Atlanto-Axial Instability is a fancy name for a weakness in the neck. The ligaments in people with Down's tend to be slack, which can affect the stability of neck joints.

The linked article here explains it far clearer than I can. There does not seem to be any concrete evidence that activities such as trampolining or forward somersaults can cause serious injury, but it is not a bad thing to keep in mind that a neck injury may be more of a possibility if your child has Down's Syndrome. Probably the best advice I would give is to raise this question with your doctor and check whether or not it is wise for your particular child to take part in these activities.

Personally, I asked the schools to refrain from making my daughter do somersaults in P.E. and to be honest, she never wanted to go on a trampoline or bouncy castle anyway!

From the side of being a Learning Support Assistant, I always ask the parents first whether or not they are happy for their child to take part in any activities that may carry the slightest chance of a risked injury. This way I don't have to worry about doing the wrong thing for the child in my care.

No comments:

Post a Comment