Thursday 9 September 2010

Forgive Yourself!

This week schools were back in session, as were colleges...so I thought! I did something terrible on Tuesday - over the last couple of weeks I was very conscientious and contacted my daughter's social worker to inform her that we'd need the taxi service back to normal this week; I even contacted the taxi company and made sure they knew about the times and pick up/drop off points. We got up in time, my daughter got herself ready and was all keyed up to get back to work and went off happily in her taxi.

Half an hour later, I got a phone call at work from the college to say that whilst my daughter had arrived safely, her course didn't actually start until a fortnight's time. Whoops! They said the dates were in a letter, which they probably were, but I must have missed that one and just assumed that their term started the same as ours - which I think it does for full-time courses.

So I had to ring the taxi firm who were kind enough to send someone straight away to bring her back - lovely people, thank you! She was fine, completely unphased as ever, while I was mortified.

However, I have learned over the years that to err is human and there is no point in beating yourself up over it. You have to accept the fact that you have a great amount of things to deal with and if something slips through the net, it is just one of those things. As long as it all ended happily, the best thing is to put it down to experience and then move on. In the past I would have been mentally kicking myself for days, but that is just wasted energy which could be utilised far better elsewhere.

On the plus side, now I have made my apologies and (hopefully) sorted out the correct dates, we had a lovely day at home together yesterday and the promise of the same again next week, thereby ekeing out the summer holidays just a little bit longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment